Ping Test (Windows)
A ping test will help prove if you can access specific fully qualified domain names or IP addresses. They can help confirm a working connection and help diagnose any slow performances.
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on Run.
3. In the field type CMD and press on the OK button.
4. You will be presented with a black Command Prompt box.
5. On the black screen type:
As an alternative you can choose to run a ping test to an IP address by typing it as:
6. Press the RETURN button on your keyboard which will start the process running.
7. If you would like to run the process for longer type the request as:
ping -t www.google.co.uk or ping -t 184.108.40.206
This will start a continuous ping which can be stopped by pressing CTRL and C together.
8. The screen will fill with a series of results. If successful a reply will be shown with an indication of the
time taken for a response.
9. To copy the results right mouse click on the black screen and click on the option to select all. Press
the return key. This will copy the results to your local clip board.
10. To paste the results go to the screen you would like to enter them, right mouse click and select paste.
The results will be copied in text format into the email or document.
More About Ping
To learn more about ping tests please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping